Monday, October 22, 2007

What are streaming audio and streaming video? How have they altered the use of audio and video on the Internet

Streaming audio and streaming video allow the user to use the media as it is being downloaded. Although there may be some delays, for the most part, you are able to listen or watch as you download. Most people’s Internet connections today are fast enough for audio streaming to not be a problem at all. Video streaming may be a bit choppy but the user will still benefit somewhat from the “instant gratification” most people crave.

There are many uses for streaming audio and video in a technologically equipped classroom. United Streaming has many resources available for a teacher to use in his or her classroom. While these resources can be downloaded and used, the teacher doesn’t have to wait to download the entire file before evaluating it, and valuable disk space doesn’t have to be used. Educational videos are available on many websites. Many topics are covered, from Language Arts to Science to Social Studies. Audio files are available for streaming such as interviews and musical pieces as well as other vocal art.

In higher education, universities are able to offer satellite classes using streaming video. Some classrooms also set up partnerships with classrooms in schools across the country or across the globe. Students in south Mississippi are able to develop a relationship with students in South Dakota or south Africa. A similar set-up can also allow teachers to give parents or students at home sick the option of being “in class” without actually being there.
Streaming audio and video are two new technologies with many options to be used within the classroom.

3 comments:

Wanda Moye said...

I am not in love with Streaming Video. It serves a purpose, however, I have found it unreliable in my art classroom. I personally would prefer to show a video. Although it is not reasonable to have a video of every subject you want to teach nor is it reasonable to only show 5 or 7 minutes of a video. Therefore, I use it, and await the day when the technology gets much better.

Shannon James-Griffin said...

I have used unitedstreaming.com in my classroom. It's perfect to throw in with a lecture in my literature class.

Shannon James-Griffin said...

The only problem I ran into with unitedstreaming was no one at my school uses it much and I didn't have access to it initially. I had learned about it in class this summer and wanted to use it in my classroom. I had to borrow another's ID and password to get in. The school doesn't have it set up for them. I believe we need to get our school districts more up-to-date on what is available out there for use in the classroom. There is so much I want to do for my students, but it seems I can't get time management down yet. There aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done. Anyone else have that problem?