Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Chapter 1

I was not assigned a topic for this week’s blog, so I picked this one.

My understanding on educational technology and its relationship with teaching and learning process.

Depending on who you ask, educational technology can range from Promethean boards and a class set of laptops to something as simple as a whiteboard and a basket of markers in multiple colors. Normally, though, it refers to newer technology. Educational technology serves as a new tool for teachers to use to enhance the teaching process. Like all technology, educational technology advances rapidly and is outdated as soon as it becomes widely available.

Since all students have their own, individual learning styles, educational technology simplifies the process of allowing the classroom teacher to reach as many different students with as many different learning styles as possible. It is important for the teacher to utilize these technologies, but it is also important for the teacher not to become too reliant on the newest, greatest technology. While technology enhances the experience, it should not become a crutch.

3 comments:

Shannon James-Griffin said...

I agree with your comment on teachers not allowing technology to become a crutch. While it is advantageous for teachers to have to technological tools to enhance the learning experience, I believe nothing beats the old-fashioned method of reading books. My views may be based solely on the fact that I am an English teacher and that I have a passion for reading, but books have a lot to offer. Modern technology can only add to this basic learning experience and style.

Shannon James-Griffin said...

And I did assign a topic... I sent it through yahoo groups.

Wanda Moye said...

Tonya
I don't really think of educational technology as new. I think that teacher are finally trying to catch up with what our youth have been doing well ever since Sega computer games. I teach at a school where more than have of the teachers do not use email. They all however, have cell phones, but only use the basics. I believe keeping up with technology is a must have in todays eucational enviroment. This goes from elementary to college. From student to teacher we all must be equipped to communicate well.